Troubleshooting & Support
The Perfect Bass Kit (PBK) is for use with any MartinLogan® subwoofer with a PBK Interface to correct the effects of room boundaries on sound quality. PBK uses proprietary processing to compute the subwoofer's in-room frequency response and then computes a target frequency response for the subwoofer to yield optimal in-room sound. PBK can be used with up to four MartinLogan subwoofers. The frequency response of each PBK microphone is measured precisely and this data is used to create the microphone's calibration file included on the PBK software disk. The microphone can ONLY be used with the matching individual calibration file.
- PBK requires a PC running Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10. If you are running a newer operating system than mentioned see info about updating the PBK files in the owner's manual. PBK is currently not compatible with Apple Macintosh computers.
- TWO USB ports are required.
- If you are using a laptop computer, check power settings and battery meter before starting to ensure the procedure will not be interrupted.
- Although systems vary, in general, if your home theater receiver/processor also has a Room Correction system, PBK should be set up and running before setting up your system's 'EQ', especially if more than one PBK subwoofer will be in use.
Compatible MartinLogan Speakers
Service Advisory for PBK
June 12, 20131) PBK Microphone Recognition
2) PBK, Computer, and Operating System Compatibility
3) MartinLogan PBK and Paradigm PBK Are Not Interchangeable
4) PBK and other Room Correction Technologies
1. PBK Microphone Recognition: We have received several reports relating to PBK microphone setup/driver installation. The microphone occasionally fails to install the first time it is plugged into a computer. When the microphone is plugged in allow approximately 1-minute for the computer to automatically install the microphone drivers. If installation fails try the following:
a. Unplug the microphone and reattach it to the computer.
b. Connect the PBK and subwoofer USB cables to an external USB hub and then connect the USB hub to the computer.
2. PBK, Computer, and Operating System Compatibility: We recommend running MartinLogan PBK on Windows XP, or Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 PBK is currently not compatible with Apple Macintosh computers.
3. MartinLogan PBK and Paradigm PBK Are Not Interchangeable: The PBK systems (hardware and software) from MartinLogan and Paradigm Electronics are not interchangeable. MartinLogan PBK software contains specific information about MartinLogan subwoofers. Additionally, the drivers installed on the computer are brand specific and not interchangeable.
4. PBK and other Room Correction Technologies: MartinLogan's PBK™ (Perfect Bass Kit) is designed to adjust performance of specific MartinLogan subwoofers to reduce room induced bass anomalies. PBK is not a replacement for other room correction systems that are designed to optimize multi-channel audio systems. When beginning the task of optimizing an audio system's performance, the first step should always be proper setup of the front, center, and surround speakers. Proper setup of these speakers requires proper positioning, toe in, and (if available) adjusting other built-in controls. The next step should be running PBK to adjust the subwoofer's output to account for room interactions. After running PBK, the subwoofer's performance and integration with the main speakers should be optimized by adjusting the subwoofer's level, phase, low-pass filters, and other controls. Only after proper setup of speakers and subwoofer(s), including running PBK on the subwoofer(s), is it time to run your processor's full-range room correction system to enhance overall system performance within the room.